Sunday 14 September 2014

Autumn thinking of you


I was inspired by a few challenges to make this card,
 although the project started out very differently !

I was keen to try a new technique that Loll from Stamping with Loll shared recently.
It's called Faux Mother of Pearl and she's done a fabulous video to show how it's done.

I thought I'd do a tag and smooshed some white paint mixed with pearlizing medium onto it using cling wrap. When it was dry I blended a few autumn coloured distress ink onto it. I loved the look of the tag but I didn't know what to do with it!

I decided it would make a great background for a butterfly and some leaves, I stamped a couple of Hero Arts butterflies, clear embossed and fussy cut them. The leaves are diecut from bits and pieces that were left. I managed to get enough from the tag to do 2 projects.
I should've taken a pic before I cut it up but you can see the white shimmer from the paint.

I'm linking up to the challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday where the theme is to make your own background. I hope making it then repurposing it is ok. I've used an embossing folder to create a background for the tag.

At Tag You're It challenge there is this gorgeous inspiration pic.

I've followed the layout and autumn colours of the butterfly.

Since I was using up snippets left over from cutting up the butterflies, 
I'm visiting the playground at Pixie's Crafty Workshop.

Materials used:
Hero Arts antique engravings butterfly; versafine ink & clear ep; Memory Box cherry blossom die; Elizabeth Crafy Designs curvy leaves die; Entangled embossing folder; distress inks; white acrylic paint; pearlizing medium; 
sentiment sticker.

Thanks for visiting,
Cathy x

17 comments:

Sarn said...

Morning Cathy . . . I'm keeping you company on the playground swings!

Terrific looking card. Very effective technique . . . I've been playing with it myself!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Aquarius said...

It is great when things don't always go to the original plan but end up being beautiful. Love that pearly technique, very effective.

roffeycreations said...

Beautiful... Mxxx

Brenda in IN said...

You've made another gorgeous creation. That technique is looking like a fun one. Another great use of kitchen products!

Di said...

Oh Cathy, that looks such fun. And a lovcely result too :)

Di xx

Mrs A. said...

Smashing technique. I have just been reading up on that too on You tube. gorgeous butterfly. Would love to see you at My Ugly bug Ball challenge. hugs Mrs A. (butterfly challenge).

Loll said...

Beautiful card Cathy. Love that you've used the technique for your leafy branch and butterfly. Great job! Thanks for the shout out! :) Loll xx

scrappymo! said...

That is a beautiful technique! Love your stunning card.

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is lovely! Wonderful take on Karin's tag!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Cathy, your card is lovely ... I do like cards with tags on them. The butterfly is gorgeous and the leaves are a great use of the snippets. Elizabeth xx

Caryn said...

This is just beautiful - the butterfly looks stunning.

Thanks joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Jean said...

Your card is lovely, it looks like a great technique. I love the colours you used on the tag. the butterfly is beautiful.
Jean x

Maureen Merritt said...

This is really gorgeous! Thanks for playing along at Tag You're It!

Debs Willis said...

Love the autumn colours. What a great tag!
Debs x

donna mikasa said...

Perfect take on Karin's tag! Thanks for joining us at Tag You're It!

Unknown said...

I really loved the card, but was curious as to who made the embossing folder. I am from USA & would love to find it.

Cathy said...

Hi Sharon, tried to find your blog to reply to you but it's google + (and so, beyond me sorry!) So, hope you get this message. The folder is made by Couture Creations and is called Entangled. I'm pretty sure it's retired although I've seen it pop up on ebay now and again, good luck, Cathy x